ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted. windows wont open

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

MS-Addict wrote:
One of my computers is having the corrupted ntoskrnl.exe problem also...

NTFS, Windows XP pro, no extra partitions

The HDD makes inconsistent sounds. It will go, stop, go, stop, then pause ---4 short bursts of activity with each being a series of a dozen or so clicks. I'm currently still trying the recovery console. I found that I cannot use the LOGON command. Therefore I cannot replacentoskrnl.exe using the recovery console...

Chkdsk is at 34% after 2 hours. I already ordered a new HDD. :cry:

There we go, 100%... "The volume seems to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

I just replaced a hard drive in a friend's machine with the similar problem. I narrowed the "clicking" sounds down to the hard drive turning on and off. It seemed like it had an issue with powering up. Then it also had a problem (with XP where it would almost get to a login screen and then reboot) I also encountered multiple unrecoverable errors using chkdsk and determined there were too many bad sectors on the drive to allow it to live. Replaced the drive and all is well.
  • Goughy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Goughy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooo - kay

I have the same problem as everyone else here, with the missing file etcetcetc. Have read through all the replies, and they dont work. Alas, i think my problem is a mite more serious than most, for the reasons i shall detail below....

Did a boot-level defrag as on my primary windows partition, as it was horrendously messed up. After the defrag had finished shunting the files around, I get the error message. I'm thinking that its put them in a secret place, then forgotten exactly where...

The boot.ini file looks ok, but heres the kicker:

The winnt directory (I'm on win 2000) has vanished. gone without a trace, leaving just a 288k file called winnt in its place.

Now i reckon this means that the partition tables might be a bit messed up, either that or the master boot record, as thats pretty much the only thingI havent tried.

So - suggestions for how to recover the winnt dir ?

Further info : When loading up the recovery console, it doesn't ask me to log into win2000, so i cant move files, copy files, do anything like that.

Current best guess is to copy all the files i need over to another drive as a backup, then try restoring the mbr - any ideas as to why i should/shouldnt do this ?

Cheers all !!!!
  • b1sh0p
  • Born
  • Born
  • b1sh0p

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having the same problem, i was browsing around looking for solutions and found this forum.

I have a WD 80gig and am using XP Home. I used a WD disk diagnostic and i zeroed everything on my HD. I used the regular NTFS format, it hit 100%, and then it gave me the error message: cannot format on petition, there may be a disk damage, etc. I have been having computer troubles for the last month, i try formatting and it never works, i have to use the quick NTFS format, and it only works for about 1-2 weeks, and then craps out again. I am going to go pick up XP Pro tomorrow (college discount), and try formatting with that cd instead.

I am not that experienced with computers, so can anyone who has found a solution with this please post in layman's terms what they did? thanks.
  • Goughy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Goughy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fixed it...

I put the drive in another working win2k machine, and on boot it ran through the diskcheck prog. After that there were two directories called found.000 and found.001 or something like that - these were the winnt dirs and system32 dirs. I copied then renamed them accordingly and put them in the right place, booted up the broken machine and it was fine.

Chkdsk might do this in the recovery console, don't know.

Basically i think it re-wrote the NTFS data so that it was all good.
Also - don't know if i needed to rename the folders and move them, or whether the re-write would link the boot files to the new dirs, but i thought it prudent whilst the option was easily available.

Best of luck with everyone else having this problem - i think mine was more a symptom of a different problem.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey that's great and thanks for detailing the solution. This thread appears to be becoming more valuable and informative daily. Cheers.
  • bartvb
  • Born
  • Born
  • bartvb
  • Loc: Wilsele, Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

About a week ago, I bought a new Maxtor IDE HDD(40GB) , to use as a backup on my older Maxtor IDE HDD(20GB). This I thought would be my cheap backup system (only 57 euro). But it became a nightmare.

When i connected the new disk as slave, it was not recognized by my older one. After a couple of different wiring like connectors on the cable switching, I got the famous 'ntoskrnl.exe message.
I use W2K Professional, so the HDD was NTFS format. I found this site and tried everything I more or less understood (being not so much into PCs).
I tried:
-Windows recovery tool: could not read the disk anymore
-used the new HDD as master and the broken one as slave. The slave showed up as F:-disk, but when I tried to access it, W2k asked to format the disk. Not a good idea...
-tried the maxtor diagnose tool: diagnose: disk broken, you get a knew one with error-code .... again it was no help to me.
-tried datarecoverytool 'easyrecovery' from Ontrack (trialversion)
started ok, but when it tried to read the first sectors it got stuck and didn't proceed.
-and many other suggestions.
I contacted a specialized company in datarecovery and it would cost me about 1300 euro (a bit more in USD)
I was about to pay this when a final googling brought me to http://www.pcinspector.de. More exactly their tool 'Pcinspector File Recovery'. A free download. And this tool was able to access my root . Some sectors were damaged, but most of them where ok and I could recover 95% of all my data.

I hope this is of any help. I, at least was happy to recover my data!
Ciao
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to OZZU bartvb and thanks for the feedback.

Glad you were able to recover your data. I've used PC INSPECTOR myself and it's a very good tool considering it's free.
  • Goughy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Goughy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of all the dumb luck !!

My 8Gb drive just died - started clicking, so i started to transfer files across, then the whole system went down, so I've unplugged it until i have a bit more energy and more patience

I think most of the files are backed up or irrelevant though, so its no biggie, just irritating !
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can recover everything you need.
  • tylerjeastman
  • Born
  • Born
  • tylerjeastman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running Windows XP on a Dell 1 ghz laptop. I am getting the same error as everyone else.

ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted...etc

I can not boot up in safe mode. I can't boot up with my XP recovery disk. What are my options? Right now I think I'll have to lose everything and replace the HD. Does anybody have any ideas?

Is this a new error, it seems that there are several people getting it recently.

Thank you!
  • wilymark
  • Born
  • Born
  • wilymark

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: I don't think anyone has mentioned this problem yet, but here is my problem. I am running Win 2000 and it won't even start up. After I turn it on, it gets stuck in this blue screen and this is what it says exactly:

***Address 8042DEF4 base at 80400000, Date Stamp 4047db83 - ntoskrnl.exe
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8042DEF4)IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I am clueless about this. I have read some of the previous posts, but this doesn't seem to be the same problem. Thanks for any help!
  • Niori
  • Born
  • Born
  • Niori
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

:x :?: ok, i just started having this problem, and when i put my Win XP cd in the cd drive and try to use the recovery console, it says that file \i386\ntkcnlmp.exe can not be loaded... does this mean that i will have to get a new cd? or is there a way to fix it? :?: :x
  • screwedinlife
  • Born
  • Born
  • screwedinlife

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi people

i have a similar problem. i boot into windows without problem. while browsing the internet and running applications suddenly i come across an error where a blue screen comes up with a message "beginning of physical dump" it shows error on file ntoskrnl.exe. and the system reboots.

any solutions??

need help. i use a compaq presario 1500T.

thx

always screwed :evil: :twisted: :?: :tempertandrum:
  • goofyfish
  • Born
  • Born
  • goofyfish

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having the same problem as described above, but when I try to expand
the sp1.cab file to the system32 directory I get:

No files matching 'c:\windows\system32' in sp1.cab

The same happens if I try to expand sp2.cab.
ntoskrnl.exe is in the system32 directory. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick
  • blues_man
  • Born
  • Born
  • blues_man
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

With no warning my notebook decided to go south for the winter by simply not powering on. The fan, power light and charge light appear and depressing the caps or numlock key results in activation but thats about it. If you continue to power on and off eventually it will boot. It will not boot from A: or C: which prevents running repair. This condition has existed for two days and I am finally having time to work on it. The subject message appeared tonight and I was directed to this site via google. Looks like a great sight so I joined up and found your posting and wonder if you have any other suggestions?
  • shadowofdawn
  • Born
  • Born
  • shadowofdawn

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i was wondering if you could help me with this similiar problem i have the same ntoskrnl.exe problem. though your steps are helpful i don't know my administrator password to get into the manuel repair so if their is any way to do that that would be great. also i was told i should make a back up of the boot.ini file and the ntoskrnl.exe if i found it i was wondeiring if you could help me
  • Pappa
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pappa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear Wes19 & others of this same error.
- I may have a new twist on this-

Cause: missing or corrupt file during boot.
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Solution: Try lowering the primary partition your initial operating system is loaded on. Then re-install as planned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story: Mine steamed from deleting a 2nd operating system and/or changing to Linux boot loader (which overwrites the windows boot loader) & back to windows again using: FDISK /MBR

...Anyways, I tried many things including: expanding ntoskrnl.exe from the windows install cd to the system32 folder, reinstalled several times, manually edited the boot loader, blah blah blah...
Each time I re-installed using the largest DEFAULT partition size that was recommended. Well, not until I manually made a change (lower the partition), did I resolve my problem.

For what it's worth, my WORKING boot.ini shows my 2nd O.S. to be on partition 3, even though I only created 2 & windows only reports having 2. Before I made this change to the partition, windows configured the boot.ini to load my 2nd O.S. from the 2nd partition, and boot-up's failed of course. Everything I did should have worked & not brought on this error. I have done this many times before. But for whatever reasons this error arrives, I got it to go away from manually making a change and simply not using the recommended settings when I installed. It's just habit to try and squeeze every bit of space when installing.

So if the shoe fits, here is your fix.
  • jaded
  • Born
  • Born
  • jaded
  • Loc: singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm also having a similiar problem but in a harder level.
please help me at
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic41528.html
thanks
  • omelette
  • Born
  • Born
  • omelette

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

Just out of my curiosity, I had this same problem when I tried to reboot my comp. It just freezed in the middle of rebooting the comp and it says that my ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted or missing...

So what I did was unplugging my hard disk from its data cable, and plugging it back to the cable, and the same with the power cable that is connected to the hard disk. And it fixed it... hm... anyone knows why? Just need to know why the file got corrupted in the first place and could be fixed by unplugging the data cable and plugging it back to the hd, so that when this thing happens again I know what to do not only guessing like I did.

Any reply appreciated... Thanks..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot the Administrator Password?

well that will help you to reset it and move on with whatever you need to do in Windoze. Personally, i use Austrumi: here or [url=http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/index_en.html[/URL]here[/url].
Now of course.. the little kiddies need not downloading the iso and then setting the adminstrator password on a pc at school to nothing as this would get you into vast amounts of trouble :twisted: but i've used it to change my admin password to nothing many a times as when i would go into the recovery console and i'd type in the admin password, windows would tell me it was invalid :)

if you haven't done so (anyone having this problem) i would suggest going into the recovery console and doing a
Code: [ Select ]
chkdsk /r
and seeing if that fixes anything.
hope this helps! :)
  • fred
  • Born
  • Born
  • fred
  • Loc: Utah, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everybody.

I have the same problem with a Windows XP Tablet edition. i don't have a windows xp cd, i don't have an internal disk drive. Both of them are miles away in Singapore and i'm currently in the United States. The only way i can think of is to boot from a USB flash drive. is there any way that i can fix my laptop while i'm still here?

thanks.

:cry:
  • worried_UK
  • Born
  • Born
  • worried_UK
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Am new here and from a little quaint country called England and I have a rather annoying problem, well 2 annoying problems to be exact..

I came into my work this morning where I am the only desktop support person and was called in as their notes server was down. Had a look at the screen.. Had the same <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe File is missing or corrupt on a Win 2k server.

We tried the RC but we have a Compaq Proliant server and these are touchy if all the drivers arent correct and we seemed to have lost a lot of files.

It ended up being a fresh install....which seemed to go OK. Restored all backed up data (about 55Gb) which took 3 hours.

Rebooted....

SAME ERROR.

Ok - reinstalled again windows 2000 server again..

Rebooted..

No! This time getting "Ntldr is missing, Press CTRL/ALT and DEL"

The ntldr file was misssing competley. We created a boot disk with the ntldr and boot.ini file on and used this to boot...only to see that wen we were back up that the ntldr file was missing again (as though some batch file was deleting it). So at the moment using the boot disk to keep us running..

Has anyone had a problem with this - the ntldr file being deleted after rebooting??

Pos virus or been hacked?

Thanks in advance for ANY help!

Worried in the UK.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

so it seems my firefox is being gay and died while i typed my response. so time to shorten it :) i've had the problem but another file was missing also, but a google search yields many results for "ntldr missing" so try this:
Quote:
1. Type cd .. to go to the root of drive C. (Note the space)
2. Type the letter of the CD-ROM drive
3. Type cd i386 to change into the right directory
4. Type Copy ntldr c:
5. Type Exit

i'm assuming you could also do something like (pretending the cdrom drive is e):
Code: [ Select ]
cd\ (if not at c:\ prompt)
copy e:\i386\ntldr
exit
  1. cd\ (if not at c:\ prompt)
  2. copy e:\i386\ntldr
  3. exit

hopefully you get it working. good luck.
  • Yoda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Yoda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey All,

I get the same ntoskrnl.exe error. I tried using Last Know Good Configuration as well as 3 Windows Boot Disk and the Recovery Consule to jump start NT, but still had no luck with it. Can anyone help?

I also tried doing the following by placing one MS-Dos disk in the floppy drive to get a command prompt. Once there I tried using the following with a Windows NT Server CD.

xcopy d:\alpha\ntoskrnl.exe c:\winnt\system 32\

Not sure if chkdsk would work as well.

Help?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if you have a windows xp disk, then you dont need ms-dos. you can just stick in the disk & boot from it like you would when you go to install windows, but at the prompt instead of hitting enter (i believe, however irrelevant) to install windows you hit r to go to the recovery console. from there you can copy the file over. try that

btw, in windows xp the folder is NOT winnt, its just windows and there's no space between system & 32.. so itd be c:\windows\system32

also, did you follow the links on this post? and did you try what this one says
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-windows-wont-open-t24580.html&hi ... tosknl+exe
  • Yoda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Yoda

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Windows XP Recovery Consule worked like a charm. When I got to the C:\winnt prompt and type chkdsk everything was okay after that.

AnarchY SI wrote:
well if you have a windows xp disk, then you dont need ms-dos. you can just stick in the disk & boot from it like you would when you go to install windows, but at the prompt instead of hitting enter (i believe, however irrelevant) to install windows you hit r to go to the recovery console. from there you can copy the file over. try that

btw, in windows xp the folder is NOT winnt, its just windows and there's no space between system & 32.. so itd be c:\windows\system32

also, did you follow the links on this post? and did you try what this one says
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-windows-wont-open-t24580.html&hi ... tosknl+exe
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

good to hear.
  • brains&balls
  • Born
  • Born
  • brains&balls

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a very similar problem. when i startup windows xp it says windows cannot startup because ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. i dont have a bootdisk or the xp disk. so i cant fix it. is there a repair program to actually reinstall a new copy like it says. its stupid it just says please install a new copy but its not so easy as to just say that. you cant get into the computer and place the downloaded file into the correct directory. i cant even get into the computer if it wont startup and i dont have any cd's or diskettes "floppys". can anyone help.
  • brains&balls
  • Born
  • Born
  • brains&balls

Post 3+ Months Ago

my computer says invalid drive specification when i type C:\windows\system32
what is wrong. i think i cant access my C drive!!
can somone help?
  • brains&balls
  • Born
  • Born
  • brains&balls

Post 3+ Months Ago

i fixed ntoskrnl.exe but now the computer starts up then just sits there it is just a black screen? :cry:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 233 posts