my PC slow on network

• ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva
  • Loc: kh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear All

my PC run on Windows XP sp1a, now much slower on the network.
it take me pretty long to transfer 10MB file. :(

any helps would be appreciating
thank
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your question is pretty vague, you will have to give us more details. What kind of network is it? What are you transfering? to a server withing the local network? or something outside the network?
  • ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI Vladdrac,

my LAN has one domain controller running on ms windows 2k advance server.

Each workstation running on windows XP sp1a and every clients has 100Mbps of NIC connection speed.

Transfer the files (general files) from other clients to clients, from clients to server and vice versa, it is much faster compare to transfering file from/to my PC (around 4 times slower).
Most of other clients are smaller than mine in HW capacity.) Actually, mine is a pretty good computer( PIV 2.5Ghz, 512 MB, 60GB)

I have tried to change the NIC with other clients and also changing the network wall point, but it still slow on the network and the collusion on the hub is so small. So i think it may not due to the NIC, Wallpoint or collustion.

I also looked into the process in Task Manger, but there is no strange processes while transferring file. my Norton Anitvirus always up to date. so i dont think it is due to the virus.

thank
INeed4eva
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first guess is that your network properties for your computer are set to 10Mbps half duplex instead of 100Mbps full duplex. (Even if your card is a 100Mbps card, you still have to have the settings right.) Almost every time I've seen network connectivity slow like you've described it invariably comes back to that setting. You could set it to Auto, but I always prefer to specify the 100Mbps Full Duplex.

At the moment I'm on Win2K and it's inconvenient to switch to XP, but if you go to your network card configuration in network properties, you should find it under the Advanced tab, or somewhere similar like this:

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a similar problem.
I had a built in intel network thing on my mobo, but the transfer rate was rubbish. I installed a serperate NIC and it worked fine.
So would this work for me too? I just checked the same option and it shows that mine was running at 100MPS/Half Duplex, could that have been the problem?

because I could always use my serperate NIC elsewhere
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Half Duplex is one way communication. In other words, it can only transmit or receive at any given moment. Full duplex allows simultaneous transmission and receipt. Auto detect usually will take care of it, but not always. That's why I always change it as noted above. The speed difference is significant, even with local LAN transfers.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, that sounds right. But there is a good chance that something is configured wrong if it is just his computer.

btw, do people even use half duplex anymore?
  • ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, my NIC setting is set to auto for Link speed/ Duplex Mode.

i try some of these setting

-Change to 100Mb Full Mode/10MB Full Mode or half: the speed is too slow. E.g. my Ms Firewall client can not found my ISA server, i can not open my Ms Outlook XP( always retry to find the Ms Exchange server.) and can not list files/folder on the map drive. The Link speed shown 10Mbps.

- Change to 100Mb Half Mode: the speed is pretty fast. e.g transfering file faster, but when i right click on any file in my Map drive it pretty slow like before (set to auto mode.)
  • ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva

Post 3+ Months Ago

ps: the speed of the connection is show 100Mbps when i change to 100MB half Mode

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts