Thunderbird "Login failed"

• knexor2
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

When trying to access my aol mail through thunderbird, I keep getting the same error: "Login to server imap.aol.com failed". I click okay, it asks for my password again.

This thing was working not five minutes ago, what happened? I just logged into my mail via my browser, so the connection is not being rejected. I know I have the right pass, too. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • knexor2
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

o_0 nevermind, it's working again. Strange, because all I did was go into hybernation, then start up again. Pulled up thunderbird, it displayed all my mail...very annoying.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't you just hate when that happens *lol
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Absolutely.. My hotmail is refusing to be retrieved by Thunderbird at the moment.. "Bad vibes"... It must be voodoo ;)
Btw sorry "Bad Vibes recieved from client" is the error message ;) I have a suspicion that MS might have finally caught up with the fact that I use email clients to check my email instead of the webpage..
  • knexor2
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hotmail through Thunderbird? I was under the impressions that that was not possible...

According to Mozilla help...
Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?

No. Netscape WebMail and Hotmail use proprietary protocols. To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. Of course, you can access your WebMail account on the Web at http://webmail.netscape.com/, or Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com/.

Doesn't really surprise me, coming from microsoft...
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe you forget the ingenuity of people ;)
There are two extensions you need to do it..
One is Webmail
The other is Webmail - Hotmail

You install Webmail first then restart TB then install the Webmail - Hotmail one.
What it does from what I've seen is it creates a POP3 server which TB connects to and it in turn connects to Hotmail and passes the right stuff to it. Up until about a week ago it worked perfectly. Possibly they changed the protocol slightly. Might see if my OE still works without having been updated at all. If it doesn't then I can guess that its that. If it does then its a glitch in the extension.

EDIT: Working again. As simple that a few weeks ago I changed my password and forgot all about it.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

This sounds like what I encountered. I set up an e-mail account through thunderbird with my ISP. I was able to send a message to my secondary e-mail. I have yet to send one to the address I set up here.
Every five seconds it would ask for a password, if I put in the wrong one, it would provide the password prompt dialog; if I put in the correct one, it would say "Login to server pop.secureserver.net failed" then it would request me to make a new password.
It would not relent. I uninstalled the program then reinstalled. My account information was still there. I removed it within the Tools/ Accounts dialog then uninstalled again. This time I uninstalled through control.exe and there was not a folder under program files /"Mozilla Thunderbird" anymore. I reinstalled, and I still get the same error message. I am able to open Thunderbird and examine the settings, but it spontaneosly pops up and irritates me.
The thing that sets me off is that "secureserver" was text that I mistakenly input and later changed; i.e., the incoming and outgoing servers that were provided by my ISP.

I have looked at the FAQ for thunderbird but I don't think I know what to do from that information.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created two accounts, but even after making the second account the default(both in the accounts options left side of the screen and by setting the default to the second account's outgoing server) I continued to get the error message and it would request a password for the first account.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I first set up Thunderbird I did not see a separate directory from the Local Folders directory. In a guide (although for IMAP) I see Local Folders as a separate directory from the created username's folder.

http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/t ... rdwin.html

I followed this guide and called my isp for the port number: http://products.secureserver.net/email/ ... erbird.htm

Before I got this far I set up attempted to set up a pop account with my yahoo e-mail. This didn't work and much time elapsed before I stumbled upon the aforementioned reference. When following these instructions I notice that it tried to contact yahoo. The port which it defaulted to at this time was the port which I successfully used to send an e-mail with the account I created with my ISP's information.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts