Making .ico files such as favicon.ico with Adobe Photoshop

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking around today on if it was possible to make .ico files with Adobe Photoshop. Before I would always download some free program whenever I needed to make an ico file, as by default Adobe does not. So today I was looking around and found this excellent plugin for Adobe Photoshop that gives you the option to save a file as a .ico

Go here:

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

For me I had to download the Windows package, which you can also get by clicking here:

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/icofo ... -1.3b3.zip

Now all you have to do is extract icoformat.8bi to your plugins folder in adobe. Now the next time you start Adobe you will have the option to save, make, create, and load .ico files!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent! :D

now I don't have to go all back-asswards and rename .gif or .bmp to .ico to get it
to work! thx bigweb
  • Lady Kairuka
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lady Kairuka

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice, I've recently become addicted to downloading icons, and I'll be glad to be able to use Adobe to make them. I only hope it works with 7.0 :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

God Bless you!
  • woodstock
  • Born
  • Born
  • woodstock
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

This popped up right on the top of my search and it was just the answer I needed. Thanks much!

Cheers,
Woodstock
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woodstock - I'm glad you found this today. I had meant to download and install this last month, and completely forgot to. Got it done now though!

Welcome to OZZU!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is really cool, thanks for that link. I must have downloaded and deleted freeware ico makers about 4-5 times.

Icons are awesome! I think everyone should use them
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was also renaming .gifs Thanks!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to do the same thing (download and delete)....I found a better way though. I got Visual Studio .NET to program and I found out that you can create icons using it! I've made icons in photoshop before by renaming files and they end up messed up.
  • sharonmooney
  • Loc: NC - USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I was looking around today on if it was possible to make .ico files with Adobe Photoshop. Before I would always download some free program whenever I needed to make an ico file, as by default Adobe does not. So today I was looking around and found this excellent plugin for Adobe Photoshop that gives you the option to save a file as a .ico

Go here:

For me I had to download the Windows package, which you can also get by clicking here:

Now all you have to do is extract icoformat.8bi to your plugins folder in adobe. Now the next time you start Adobe you will have the option to save, make, create, and load .ico files!

You are the man!! I had purchased software to make icons. Shortly after I enrolled in college (pursuing a Bachelor of Science in web design and multimedia). Adobe PhotoShop CS is a program we have been required to study. I've taken some files editing in Adobe, and transferring to the Icon software. I was checking out my page rank

http://artscape.edwardtbabinski.us/favicon/favicon.html
(free favicons to preview and download)

and that's when I ran across your post.
I've linked to this thread and added your post, to my page. I'm usually skeptical, but when something is good, it works, and it's an honest deal -- that's something worth talking about!

Wow, I am just clean amazed... it works just like you said it would.

Way too cool...

Sharon
  • nekio
  • Born
  • Born
  • nekio
  • Loc: Quebec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweet find! Come to me home made icons! :twisted:
  • FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Nowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry to spoil the fun, but can you make multiple page .ico files? You know, there's more to .ico than a renamed bitmap. Yet it does save 32-bit icons and my old icon editing software can't (Axalis AX-Icons).
  • rikahs
  • Born
  • Born
  • rikahs

Post 3+ Months Ago

:P Great pointer...Thanks a million
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What dimentions do you make favicons?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:

Going entirely from memory 32x32 or 64x64
  • sharonmooney

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
SpooF wrote:

Going entirely from memory 32x32 or 64x64

They display in the Internet Explorer browser as a 16x16 though, don't they? So it would be safe to make them that size too, though I make mine at 32x32.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct. For that matter you could also make them 128x128

32x32 trends to be the most common. They will automatically shrink to the 16x16 size, and I think you end up with better resolution by using the larger size vs. 16x16
  • danae
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: ri, usa

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you so much for that.... it's been massively helpful. thanks again....
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you go to the download page of that website you will also see he has an icon "packager" if you will. Basically you can create your 64x64 icon and save it....resize it to 32x32 and save it.....resize it to 24x24 and save it......resize it to 16x16 and save it.....resize it to 8x8 and save it.....and then run the packaging utility to turn it into one single icon! That way you get the best quality regardless of what size it is displayed at, and you have an icon for every used size!

Cheers!
  • Wurn
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Cape Town

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man paying to create a .ico files is just plain wrong. Here we are using Photoshop a package made to create and one cannot make a .ico file until now...

Thx for the tips and using Visual Studio .Net asswell is also a great idea, but i'd prefer Photoshop...
  • lifeanatomy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lifeanatomy
  • Loc: England!

Post 3+ Months Ago

god your useful i wasn't even looking for one on here i was about to search google but then i spotted this thread
  • sharonmooney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wurn wrote:
Man paying to create a .ico files is just plain wrong. Here we are using Photoshop a package made to create and one cannot make a .ico file until now...

Thx for the tips and using Visual Studio .Net asswell is also a great idea, but i'd prefer Photoshop...

No kidding! I've seen advertisements for custom made ico's seventy five bucks. Outrageous. :shock:
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Find! :D

I remember awhile back I was looking for a photoshop plug-in but I couldn't find one and I ended up at http://www.degraeve.com/favicon/. It's a useful site and all, but I didn't want to have to upload my png's all the time. Thanks for that!
  • Jeffrun
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jeffrun
  • Loc: Paris france

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hye overthere !

Is the icons available on safari(mac) ?
Because i did everything, good location and extension staff but nothing appear-Thanks anyway for the tip
:iconthumbright:
  • narven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

use this website

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

transform any img into a favicon :)
  • scross
  • Born
  • Born
  • scross

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:

Go here:

thanks for these - they were exactly what I needed.

Cheers :lol:
  • corl
  • corl

Post 3+ Months Ago

But how about the CS3???
"all versions of Photoshop (3.0-7.0, CS, CS2), under Mac OS X, 9 and earlier, and Windows", except for CS3......
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

here
http://www.marcofolio.net/webdesign/how ... bsite.html

The plugin download is still here
http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/

It obviously has been revised to work with CS3 (sorry I can't test it - have CS2 -- Im really surprised Adobe just didn't incorporate it i CS3)
Quote:
If you have Adobe Photoshop, you can use this ICO plugin for Photoshop. Download the ICO (Windows Icon) Format and extract the ZIP-archive. Next, put the plug-in called ICOFormat.8bi in the following directory;
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\File Formats\
Now start up Photoshop and create a new file with the width and height of 16 x 16 pixels.
Unleash your designing skills to create the Favicon and when you're done, go to "File", "Save as..." (Shift + Ctrl + S).
Name your file "favicon.ico" and set the format to "ICO (Windows Icon) (*.ICO)".
  • corl
  • corl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried with my CS3, but it doesn't work, it only added an option for portable bitmap.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

well an ico file is nothing more than a bitmap. You certain the .ico extension isn't there on save as dropdown?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 35 posts