NA
367 8
Created
Updated
Viewed
12k times

Microsoft has announced it is sunsetting the Atom project officially on December 15, 2022.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative code editors? I am trying VS Code, but I just want to try to get away from Microsoft products.

I've considered Sublime, but I want to stick to open source.

add a comment

3 Replies

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Replied
Updated

We briefly discussed alternative editors recently, but I haven't got around to putting my full two cents there yet. From other web developers I have worked with many seemed to like the Sublime Editor which from my understanding is very similar to Atom.

Personally I absolutely love PHPStorm, but that one is not free. It is by far the best IDE editor I have used for PHP development, I love the debugging tools.

I have also used Eclipse PDT in the past before PHP Storm, but that one was a little clunky and the performance wasn't so great. However, that was a long time ago and perhaps it is better now, I believe that one is open source.

add a comment
NA
367 8
Replied
Updated

I may have found a solution! (without Microsoft's pesky telemetry)...

VS Codium

I've been using VSCode for quite a while now. I know the OSS version used to have pretty poor extension compatibility but I think that's been resolved for most of the major/trusted extensions. — spork
add a comment
Replied
Updated

There are many open source code editors available that you can use as an alternative to Atom, which has now been sunsetted. Some popular options include:

• Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
    This is a popular code editor developed by Microsoft that is free and open source. It has a large number of features and plugins, and is widely used by developers.

• Eclipse
    This is a popular Java-based code editor that is also free and open source. It has a wide range of features and is suitable for a variety of programming languages.

• NetBeans
    This is another popular code editor that is free and open source. It is particularly well-suited for Java development, but also supports a range of other languages.

• Vim
    This is a highly configurable text editor that is popular among developers for its simplicity and efficiency. It is free and open source, and available on most operating systems.

• Emacs
    This is another highly configurable text editor that is popular among developers for its extensibility and support for a wide range of programming languages. It is free and open source, and available on most operating systems.

Ultimately, the best code editor for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It's a good idea to try out a few different options to see which one works best for you.

add a comment