Asked
Updated
Viewed
21.4k times

I have Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro. It was running fine but today I got a pop up with the error message:

Font capture acrobat.exe application error
The instruction at "0x2d864aa2' referenced memory at '0x00000008'.
The memory could not be 'read'.
Click on OK to terminate the program

And after clicking OK, the program terminates.

What is font capture? and how can I solve this Windows font capture error with Adobe Acrobat?

After going through some of the answers below, now the program is running correctly, but 2 random times it gave me a different error after closing the program. However, since then no further errors, don't know what is going on, but as of now it seems to work! 🙄 — computer
add a comment

3 Answers

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

Personally I would completely uninstall it and then re-install Adobe Acrobat.

I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall 3 times now. Additionally, I also ran my antivirus ESET Nod32, Ad-aware SE Pro, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner. I then restarted computer and tried to repair it but it failed with the same error. I also went to Add / Remove in Windows, which you can also do via Run -> appwiz.cpl and then found Adobe Acrobat and also CCleaner and removed both of those. I then freshly installed both and got a slightly different error when I attempted to run Adobe Acrobat: AXWIN Frame Window: Acrobat.exe Application Error, "0x2d864aa2" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. When it hit OK the program ended. I then did everything above again, but also manually removed Windows Registry entries for Adobe Acrobat as well, but again same error. — computer
add a comment
Answered
Updated

Have you tried checking your RAM using the program called Memtest86+?

It is stand-alone memory tester for x86 and x86-64 architecture computers, and your error message saying the memory could not be read indicates you might have memory problems.

I really don't know how to check RAM with memtest. Initially after downloading the zip file all I saw was a text file that said: There is no visible file here. Memtest86+ is located on the bootsector of this CD. Just boot from this CD and Memtest86+ will launch. — computer
    The file you downloaded is a .zip file with a .iso file inside. Unzip the zip file to a directory. Then if you open up Nero Burning ROM or whichever burning program you use, find the menu option which says something like "Burn Image File" click on that, browse to the .iso file you downloaded and select it and burn it to a CD. There is also a floppy disk version on that website if you don't have a CD Burner or don't want to waste a CD, but you can use a rewriteable CD. — Alkatr0z
add a comment
Answered
Updated

It is not entirely clear what font capture means, but it seems to be related to font identification. It seems that Adobe is using some sort of machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to look at unidentified fonts and to best guess what they might be. It might also be used to aid in the discovery of new fonts.

Regarding the error message received, it certainly points to memory issues, I would definitely try the other answers as well. With that said I did a little research and found a variety of things that seemed to solve the problem. Here are things I would try, if any do not solve the problem then move to the next step.

1. Uninstall and reinstall Adobe Acrobat.
  2. Check RAM for memory issues, if found fix memory, possibly replacing RAM.
  3. Ensure Windows Compatibility Mode is disabled for this program:
    Adobe Acrobat Properties Dialog
  4. Run Anti-malware search with Malwarebytes and clean any infections.
  5. Ensure no third-party programs are causing this. I read reports that this could be caused by custom menu commands added by other programs, in this case it was a program called UltraMon and the solution was to go into UltraMon Options and then Window Menu and add Adobe Acrobat executable (acrobat.exe) to the list of excluded applications.
  6. Upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat.
add a comment